Monday 20 February 2012 By: Unknown

#11 The Moonwalking Bird

In my post "The 10 Best Ways To Attract a Mate (Bird Style)", I talked about 10 different techniques birds use to court and attract mates. For the next few days, I will be writing about each bird I mentioned in the post. Since I have already written about the Lyrebird (#1 in the 'attract a mate' post), I will start with #2. The Moonwalking bird.

Source: holophusicon.blogspot.com.au
Around the globe there are countless numbers of birds who are trying to impress females in the hope that they will be able to father more offspring and thus, pass on their genes to the next generation.

The Red-capped Manakin has chosen a unique dance in order to entice the females to come to him. This is with a dance. A dance which is actually much quicker than we think. A dance performed so fast, we have to slow it down in order for us to make some sense of what the bird does. In the video below, from the PBS Nature documentary Deep Jungle - New Frontiers, they explain the details of the Red-capped Manakin's dance which includes some steps which make it seem as if it is moonwalking.


And for those of you who can't watch videos, I've given you a sneak preview with this gif.

Maniquin Bird Gif - Maniquin Bird

Enjoy! :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment